I am a lady in Spain, I'll sing a haunting refrain


Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Dear Spaniards,

As my time here comes to a close, I have a few things that I have been meaning to ask you...

Where did you all learn to walk? I know that this is simply a culture difference, but I am always amazed at how you seem to mosey along as if time doesn't exist. I can honestly say that it has made me late to class more than once! (Honestly though class never starts on the hour anyways) In addition to this admirable nonchalance, you have a very odd concept of personal space. Since I've been here, I have been poked in the face by umbrellas more times than I can count, stepped on, bumped into, and leaned against. Normally this wouldn't be so bad, but why don't you apologize? I'm starting to get bruises!

What is your cholesterol like? I have no idea how you can drown literally everything in olive oil and not gain any weight. Don't get me wrong. I love the tortillas, paella and croquetas, but I am not able to stomach an egg fried in a full pan of oil.

On another note, heels? In a city? Where there are cobblestones? And you walk a ton? I think maybe European women were just born more fabulous. Please write back to confirm.

What do you do on Sundays? I recently learned that only 4.7% of people between 18 and 24 and only 17% of the total population here consider themselves practicing Catholics, so why is everything still closed? Conchi (my host-mom's niece) told me that all you can do on Sundays is go to church, eat tapas, or go to movies. Is this really true? What if you need some groceries or to buy medicine at the farmacia?

Where do you study on weekends? Since the libraries are closed on Saturdays and Sundays, I have found myself in bar-like cafes trying to get homework done. While I realize that most people don't equate studying with studying abroad, I have found that the workload isn't as light as expected. The smoke-filled air and loud conversationalists aren't really conducive to studying either. Is there a secret, quiet building somewhere in the city that I haven't found yet? Finals start on Monday and it would be very helpful to know this.

One last question...How do you possibly expect me to leave? This place is beautiful, exciting, and so different than what I'm used to. There are a million things (and people) that I miss from home, but I know that after a while of being back, I'm going to miss this place in the same way.

All that being said, this culture-shock whirlwind has been difficult, overwhelming, fun, and life-changing. Thank you for the conversations (and for not making fun of my grammatical mistakes), the good food and wine, and the experience of a lifetime.

Con un abrazo fuerte,

Liz

1 comment:

  1. Lizzie, dear,
    I feel a bit melancholic for you. But I'm so happy I will soon receive a big abrazo. Buena suerte with your exams And keep having a wonderful time. xoxo Grandma

    ReplyDelete