I am a lady in Spain, I'll sing a haunting refrain


Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Me he puesto como una sopa

Well...we can't win them all! In case you haven't heard, Spain has seen some of its rainiest weather & the city of Cádiz was no exception. We arrived with high hopes, silly costumes, and enough snacks (gummies to be exact) to last us through the night. Our plan was to arrive around 5 pm and stay partying, wandering the city, and enjoying the festivities (music and fashion shows) until our bus left again at 7 am. It is safe to say that this was the longest, wettest night of my life. The streets were packed, festive, and lively until about 1 am when it started to POUR. People always ask me how I can go to college in rainy Washington...well in that moment, I would have given anything to be standing in a Tacoma drizzle, rather than an Andalucían downpour. Our group spent the next 4 hours moving from stoop to stoop trying to find dry shelter. Eventually, we found our way down into a parking garage where we discovered about forty other wet carnival-goers seeking refuge. We all huddled together warmed by the exhaust from the cars of the lucky few who didn't have to wait for buses.

At about 5 am, we were kicked out of our underground shelter and headed back to the bus with high hopes that it would be open. Luckily, the rain was so bad that the police forced all the bus drivers to open their doors earlier than planned. After a shameless change of clothes on the bus, i was finally dry....ish. I can't say that knowing what I know now I would do it again, but I am glad got to experience the infamous "carnival"...even if it was more like a shower than a party!

Below here are a few images(all pre-downpour!)






Since Carnival, I have been doing a lot... I'm finally settled into a routine, our program took a trip to Madrid, Toledo, and Segovia, and I am looking forward to a break from classes! I promise to attempt to write more often, but the sun has just started to come out in Granada. The past couple days it has seemed like a different world and I can't wait to explore it!

Hasta pronto amigos.

1 comment: